The most valuable resource for an IT administrator can often be time, and there’s never enough of it. With OpCon 19.1 SMA Technologies is giving OpCon users the speed they need to be faster and more productive with big improvements to visibility and menus in the UI.
We are passionate about simplifying lives through automation, which is why we’ve dedicated our last few releases to modernizing our user interface to promote ease of use. Our goal is to make OpCon the easiest automation tool for an enterprise to use and manage. We are adding functionality into Solution Manager in sprints and the goal of each sprint is to reduce the number of users who require access to the Enterprise Manager. Whether on mobile or logging onto your cousin’s laptop at a family BBQ, we want our users to have the capability to administer OpCon from wherever they are.
A fresh new Solution Manager speeds up navigation and job editing
In the video below, we demonstrate our new Edit Daily Jobs screens within Solution Manager. This is a large step because it enables you to not only monitor operations, but also modify jobs if needed. The initial release of the Edit Daily Job screen offers the following automation components:
- Access codes
- Frequency details
- Job instance properties
- Job documentation
- Job details for Windows jobs
We will continue to add the ability to edit other automation components as we move forward. Users can look forward to other platform specific job details being added as well.
As always, we’ve looked for ways to refactor the Solution Manager screens instead of just porting the Enterprise Manager screens over. A few ways we’re doing this are:
- Consolidating the old Job Configuration and Edit Daily screens to empower you to do more from one screen
- Offering read-only mode
- The Edit Daily Job screens are in read-only mode when you first enter the job
- This minimizes accidental updates
- The read-only mode mirrors the read-only setting within OpCon Self Service
- Reducing clutter
- Each automation component’s section can be expanded or contracted, allowing you to quickly navigate between them and focus on the section under review
- Solution Manager only displays alternate machines if they are configured. This minimizes “noise” by only displaying pertinent data
- Solution Manager merged the basic and advanced failure criteria settings making it easier to configure this feature
In the video below, we demonstrate our new Schedule Build screens. Adding this functionality is important because operators monitoring workflows are often asked to build or rebuild Schedules. This feature reduces the number of end users requiring access to the Enterprise Manager.
Along with the Edit Daily Jobs revamp, we looked for ways to improve the user experience for the Schedule Build function. A wizard was added which walks users through the Schedule Build process, and it includes:
- Multiple concurrent Schedule Builds
are bundled and tracked to completion
- The queued bundles can easily be expanded or contracted, making it simple to find what you need
- Schedule Instances Properties can be added in a clean and easy interface
- Schedule Build logs can be pulled directly from Solution Manager